Brian Trumbore, Editor, PO Box 990, New Providence, NJ 07974
(908) 273-1926

10/24/16…Mallard Enters Top Ten

a wild duckFrom the chairman of the ASL:

New All-Species List Top Ten

1. Dog
2. Elephant
3. Tiger
4. Southwest African Lion
5. Great White Shark
6. Grizzly Bear (includes Kodiak and Brown Bears)
7. Pig
8. Octopus
9. Wolverine…up 1
10. Mallard…enters the list for the first time.  ‘Gibbon’ drops to 11.

We had to make a tough decision, but I’ve always liked Mallards and after seeing a large number of them this week on the golf course, they are being elevated. I assume the ‘Gibbon’ supporters will be upset but they need to understand ‘Man’ is still No. 330 by comparison.

Others knocking on the door…Gorilla, Leopard Seal, Orca, Hawk, Hippo, Wolf, Ocelot, Mountain Lion, Rhino, Yak, Snow Leopard, and Polar Bear.

Tidbits since last update….culled from my “Bar Chat” column.

–I saw this blurb in the Oct. 31 issue of TIME: “Authorities became aware that roughly 200 venomous cobras had escaped from a local farm in Nanjing, China, causing widespread panic; most were eventually recovered.”

Yeah, but what is “most”?! I mean 130 would qualify as most. That would leave 70! And given modern transportation methods, they could be about anywhere. Just as a precaution, check under your bed and behind the washing machine before you go to bed the next few days, just as we’ll be doing here in the home office.

–From the Associated Press: “A toddler who died in a house fire was found with his dog and teddy bear next to him and authorities believe the dog tried to protect the boy, a spokesman for Spokane’s fire department said Sunday.

“The dog, a terrier mixed breed, also died in the fire that broke out at about 11:30 p.m. Friday, said the spokesman.

“Three other children and two adults escaped the blaze in Spokane’s Hillyard neighborhood, he said.

“The dog stayed behind in an attempt to protect the boy, firefighters believe, and the fire was so intense that it melted the metal on the frame of the boy’s bed.

“Jerry Atabelo, who lives across the street, told The Spokesman-Review he saw the flames and heard screaming as he was getting ready for bed. He yelled for his wife to call 911 and ran outside to hook up his 150-foot water hose.

“As people screamed that a child was still in the house, neighbors dragged the hose across the street and sprayed water through a window to try to put out the fire.

“The battery in the house’s smoke detector had been removed and it was not working, the spokesman said.”

Yes, ‘Dog’ remains No. 1 for good reason.

Have a good week.

Next update 10/31.

Leave a reply